The national and international art market has long not been limited to something only for art-lovers. While emotion and passion still characterise the art market, art has become a tough business. The market is shared by artists, gallery-owners, art auction houses, collectors, art patrons, museums, foundations and many others. These interconnections result in a multitude of issues, predominantly in the areas of civil law and tax law, but also in copyright law, customs law and the law governing non-profit organisations.
For years we have assisted national and international artists, event organisers, stage operators, private people, entrepreneurs and foundations with all of the issues of art law. Art items are frequently also part of a deceased estate. In the framework of our practice group “Family & Assets", we provide comprehensive advice on the tax-law and inheritance-law special features of art in an estate context. We are also experienced in providing legal advice in contractual matters relating to classic cars and collector vehicles.
We can assist you in these areas:
- contracts concerning art items and their commercialisation
- contractual matters concerning classic cars / classic automobiles and collector vehicles
- protection of copyright and personality rights
- licence law
- tax special features in connection with art and artists (above all withholding taxes, VAT, inheritance tax and gift tax)
- assistance with external and special audits
- customs law
- estate planning (securing assets and tax optimisation)
- foundation law (establishment and advice)
- the law governing non-profit organisations, particularly use of funds)
We cooperate closely with the Berlin based law firm dtb, which specialises in strategic legal advice on art and assets.